Game UI/UX Artist (Mid-weight+)
SMG Studio is looking for an experienced Game UI/UX Artist Mid-weight to join our expanding team. Our studio is based out of Sydney and we also have various team members across the globe however we’re mostly working from home so working within or close to the Sydney time zone would be ideal.
We have multiple game titles across all platforms so the role will require you to have a broad knowledge of platform UI/UX requirements as well as the ability to create art and design work that can be used for marketing and social media (Twitter, TikTok, Apple Arcade etc)
This is a role where you will work closely with our current senior design team but you will also be required to work occasionally independently with a sense of ownership and pride for all design work created for SMG and our game titles with the support from the design leads.
We enjoy making unique, mechanically driven titles that are fun for everyone to play and always with a sense of quirkiness that is unique to SMG.
- Highly organized.
- Someone who works well within a team but can also work independently to solve challenges.
- Someone with a pixel-perfect eye for detail and a deep understanding of UI/UX best practices with the intent on making the best experience possible for our players.
- A good listener and can communicate ideas and visual languages in a clear and concise manner.
- A problem solver and strategic thinker.
- Someone who gets stuff done with limited oversight.
- Able to provide constructive feedback and insights during all stages of our games development cycle from initial conception to final launch.
- Comfortable handling critiques on your own work constructively, adapting to feedback from senior staff and playtesting sessions, and being flexible to adopting new art styles and direction along the way.
- Have an in-depth knowledge and passion for games: mobile games, console games, even board games.
- Someone who can manage multiple tasks with ease.
- Someone who makes themselves indispensable.
- Humble and level headed with a sense of humour.
- Able to remain cool under pressure and work to deadlines in fast-paced scenarios.
- Australian permanent resident or existing legal ability to work in Australia. (For this role we’re not considering sponsoring VISAs)
- A great knowledge of the Adobe Cloud suite of applications (Photoshop, XD, Illustrator)
- Fluency across production tools (JIRA, Google suite, Slack etc)
Bonus points for any of the following;
- Experience in animation (UI) and/or Visual FX (After Effects, Unity)
- Illustration skills, at both a conceptual sketch level to communicate interface, environment and game level ideas, but also at a final polished art level whether it be intricate vector icons for user interfaces or hand illustrated pieces of original art for marketing purposes.
- Prior employment at a large or small game developer or digital production agency.
- Worked on the development & deployment of a console title (Switch, Xbox, Playstation, PC) or mobile game (iOS, Android).
- A score of over 100 in One More Line.
- Experience coding, writing, 3D, photography or any creative field.
- An interest in board games
Your duties will include, but not limited to:
- Design and create high-quality static and/or animated user interfaces (UI) and artwork for video games on both mobile or console platforms.
- Create wireframes, concept sketches, moodboards, design concepts, prototypes, icons and final art assets based on internal briefs and/or technical specifications.
- Contribute to UI/UX research and strategy that helps shape our vision on how our games will both look, behave and be experienced by players.
- Create UX flows diagrams and/or prototypes that deliver an intuitive experience for players
- Communicate these UX flows and present and collaborate with the game team members
- Prepare and deliver exported UI assets and artwork files that are ready to be bought into the game both during development and when launched with App/platform storefronts.
- Support the development of the game with any additional social or marketing art assets.