Lighting Technician (Mid+)
SMG Studio is expanding and looking for a Lighting Technician.
We'll be running this project out of the Sydney studio, however we're mostly working from home, so this can be done remotely. Although for this role we will require a min 4hrs crossover on Sydney's timezone 9am-6pm)
You'll be working on new unannounced (and very exciting) console title [Redacted: The Redactening].
This is a role where you will make a difference and you'll be able to have a sense of ownership and pride in the output of the studio.
Our eclectic mix of games (Moving Out, SP!NG, No Way Home, RISK, Thumb Drift, Death Squared, OTTTD, One More Line and One More Dash) showcase how we don't like to rest on our laurels.
We enjoy making unique, mechanically driven titles that are fun for everyone to play.
Be the GO-TO for keeping our games looking as good as possible in their real-time lighting / rendered finish, as part of a larger team of technical artists bringing the 3D asset production in-game.
- working with art direction to get fully realized and performant runtime lighting in Unity
- use Bakery in Unity for light maps, or another better solution if applicable
- have an excellent understanding of Unity performance bottlenecks across different platforms
- be able to efficiently iterate and re-bake subsequent to adjustments to 3D sets as they come up
- take creative initiative to explore and suggest lighting and rendering options
- strong understanding visual hierarchy in 3D spaces / gameplay / interactive mediums
Notes from the team
This person doesn't necessarily HAVE to be a games industry lighting tech. There could be a path where this person has a pre-rendered 3d animation background, and could be upskilled in Unity well enough to use Bakery. Rationale for Mid-level is they'll be working directly with exec to refine lighting treatment over weeks, which would be pretty intimidating as a junior! That, and they need to be able to work autonomously, since the team will be occupied elsewhere.
Perks & Benefits:
- Remuneration based on experience
- 5 weeks annual leave after 2 years (You start with 4 weeks. This is fair work law in Australia but sometimes people dont realise)
- 10 days sick/carer's leave (everyone is entitled to this by law but adding here as some countries dont have this which is silly)
- Increased paid primary carer's leave from 12 weeks to 16 weeks
- Superannuation is paid on any unpaid leave (up to 52 weeks)
- Increased paid secondary carer's leave from 2 weeks to 4 weeks
- Learning workshops across a variety of topics (Project Management, Resilience & Stress Management and Time Management)
- Flexibility to work from home on a regular basis
- One day a year paid charity volunteer day (One Day for Change)
- Employees can apply for seven short winter/summer days per year
- Free counselling . Employee Assistance Program, 24 hours | 7 days.
- Health insurance discounts from Medibank Private
- Vehicle discounts. Discounts from BMW, Mini, Jaguar, Land Rover.
- Novated lease available for new cars
If you're on top of your game (or would like to be), care about your work, then let's talk.
Diverse, under-represented people encouraged to apply. We're happy to supply feedback on application if you request it.