Rendering Engineer (Mid/senior)
SMG Studio is expanding and looking for a Lighting Technician.
We'll be running this project out of the Sydney studio, however we're mostly working from home, so this can be done remotely. Although for this role we will require a min 4hrs crossover on Sydney's timezone 9am-6pm)
You'll be working on new unannounced (and very exciting) console title [Redacted: The Redactening].
This is a role where you will make a difference and you'll be able to have a sense of ownership and pride in the output of the studio.
Our eclectic mix of games (Moving Out, SP!NG, No Way Home, RISK, Thumb Drift, Death Squared, OTTTD, One More Line and One More Dash) showcase how we don't like to rest on our laurels.
We enjoy making unique, mechanically driven titles that are fun for everyone to play.
Work with the Tech Art team to implement extensive optimisations on a graphically complex project for Nintendo Switch.
- Extensive experience optimising Unity projects for low-spec platforms (culling, LoDs, managing batching, overdraw, fill rate, etc)
- have an excellent understanding of performance bottlenecks on the Nintendo Switch
- Experience with performance analysis in Unity (experience with the automated Test Runner and ProfileRecorder a bonus)
- Experience with writing efficient HLSL or equivalent
- Ability to work with unconventional rendering restrictions (due to the nature of the game we're working on), and work with the team to evaluate solutions for viability.
- General enthusiasm for writing systems that solve problems, and making weird stuff.
- Experience with Unity's UniversalRenderPipeline
- Experience with editor-time dynamic mesh generation
- Experience optimising a voxel-based title (not required, but definitely a plus)
Notes from team
This role could go in two directions so if you're reading this we're flexible to make this work for the right person.
A: We find someone with significant tech skills who can advise us on best practices, then help us implement. That skillset would complement the team nicely, and upskill some on the team along the way. This is the preferred option.
B: We find someone likes generalist problem-solving, and who has an enthusiasm for having a crack at complex challenges. Basically, someone who can muck in alongside us as we figure things out.
Perks & Benefits:
- Remuneration based on experience
- 5 weeks annual leave after 2 years (You start with 4 weeks. This is fair work law in Australia but sometimes people dont realise)
- 10 days sick/carer's leave (everyone is entitled to this by law but adding here as some countries dont have this which is silly)
- Increased paid primary carer's leave from 12 weeks to 16 weeks
- Superannuation is paid on any unpaid leave (up to 52 weeks)
- Increased paid secondary carer's leave from 2 weeks to 4 weeks
- Learning workshops across a variety of topics (Project Management, Resilience & Stress Management and Time Management)
- Flexibility to work from home on a regular basis
- One day a year paid charity volunteer day (One Day for Change)
- Employees can apply for seven short winter/summer days per year
- Free counselling . Employee Assistance Program, 24 hours | 7 days.
- Health insurance discounts from Medibank Private
- Vehicle discounts. Discounts from BMW, Mini, Jaguar, Land Rover.
- Novated lease available for new cars
If you're on top of your game (or would like to be), care about your work, then let's talk.
Diverse, under-represented people encouraged to apply. We're happy to supply feedback on application if you request it.